Monday, January 5, 2015

Ode to my crockpot

      Indeed it was a long dark dreary Monday. It was dark out when i left the house and dark out when I got back which isn't terribly shocking considering it is the definition of the dead of winter. That said its disturbingly not cold out, i was expecting an icy blast when I left for work today and instead when i walked out the door it felt like.. march. Or possibly even June in these parts. Actually the weather was very similar to our wedding day in August.
      So basically what I'm trying to convey here is that it was a drudge of a day. I really did not want to go to the gym after 9 hours of SSI fun but i promised myself and a promise is a promise. Is there anything more terrifying than a gym parking lot in January? I got to the Y (which has a freakishly huge parking lot) nice and early before my torture class and i still had to play parking spot hide and seek. I can't even be smug and bitch about the resolutioners this year because I'm pretty sure skipping the gym for two months and then starting again in January makes me one of them. Oh to be smug again. Honestly that's the number 1 reason i go to the gym. I enjoy the health benefits and the being able to fit into my pants parts too but really the best part about being an active gym goer is the smugness. 
    The last thing i wanted to do after getting home sweaty and tired was make dinner. Annnnd because i have a crockpot and the crockpot is awesome i didn't have to! Caribbean jerk pork was all ready for me! I was able to prep it yesterday when i had both more time and energy and it was amazing. Like many of "my special dishes" I janked it from skinnytaste.com  here is the recipe if you are are looking or something tasty and easy and you also have a slow cooker http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/02/slow-cooked-jerk-pork-with-caribbean_19.html I add more onion to the salad than is called for and i serve mine over quinoa not necessarily because it tastes better but because its January which as discussed yesterday means no simple carbs. The slow cooker may not be the sexiest kitchen gadgets or even the most glamorous (both of those titles go to the kitchen aid mixer) but damn if it isn't my favorite. A hot tasty meal waiting for me with little to no effort. fuck yes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment