Isn't tomorrow considered "blue Monday"? I'm fairly certain that I didn't make that up, the first Monday in the first full work week of the year is called blue Monday. And I get it, heading back to work with no Christmas lights, Christmas cookies or promise of presents to help get you through the cold dark day can be a bit of a bummer. But I'm also fairly certain that I'm not alone in finding it a bit of a relief.
And so today, like many others I'm sure i say goodbye to my delicious carby friends. Goodbye bread, goodbye rice, goodbye pastries and rolls and crusts...goodbye sugar. For the past few years i've found my body responds best to a high protein high fiber diet...and that my mind responds best to a good hour of activity after my sedentary day at work. And yet with everything that was going on from about September onwards both of those things took a back seat. Understandable sure, but not sustainable (not healthily at least) so i join the masses tomorrow in returning to my typical way of eating and making the first of many pilgrimages back to the gym.
First week will be hell (sugar like any other drug has one hell of a detox period) but after that as long as i plan ahead, but a bit of effort into it and don't get complacent it will be normal. I think that the key point that people miss when they decide to get healthier or make any kind of big switch is the planning that needs to go into a choice like that. I made sure my gym app and my calorie tracking app were up to date and ready. I double checked the gym schedule to make sure i had a plan for the week. And most importantly i got delicious nutrient dense meals for the next four days planned out and ingredients obtained. If you want to succeed you set yourself up for the success and the rest is just flexing the will power a bit.
I say that after enjoying one last beer and one last donut.
No comments:
Post a Comment